3.13.18

         So I've been philosophizing on paper which is fun...while behind the scenes a slow strategic approach has been unfolding. I'm starting to notice more and more 'gear lists' pop up for the PCT on different forums. The ultralight and the super-duper-techy and every possible brand name and model attached to the them. I suppose it has its place. My setup isn't exactly low-tech but it's not ultralight and it's not setting me back ten thousand dollars either. A good 1/4th of the gear I'm heading out with is stuff I already had or was in the process of accumulating for 14ers in Colorado before I switched to the PCT...but gear lists are fun nonetheless. I haven't read one story about someone literally depending on a single piece of gear to get them to Canada...and while I've read plenty of lists and blogs and inspirational quotes and honestly a ton of hot air from facebook groups etc, in the back of my mind I'm thinking "60% of you aren't going to make it regardless of how tough, prepared, and ultralight you're telling everyone you are right now." I could easily count myself in that 60% and I don't easily forget it lately. My planning has been meticulous on one level but I haven't spent days on end wringing my hands over anything in particular. I've just tried to keep the big picture in mind. The whole trail that is...section by section, slowly adding up to a thru-hike. Part of me is very aware of the toughness aspect, the crummy days where I'll want to throw in the towel, the mishaps and things unplanned for that are somewhat out of my control so I packed as pragmatically as possible. Not ultralight but not heavy. Nothing exotic but no compromises as far as tactical needs. There's always a few 'just in case' options thrown in there. For instance, most people aren't going to need the Half-mile apps if they're paying attention but I've got it anyway. Who knows. Snow can cover trails etc so there's some base-covering that I figured I ought to do either way. So...without further ado, this is my official gear list for the PCT this year:

Clothes:
-6 pairs socks
-Nike Flex Run shoes. (extremely lightweight,  flex-heel (no blisters), large toe-box, insanely comfortable and ok to cross a few streams in)probably go through 2-3 pairs of these if they do well on the trail.
-Two pairs shorts. One cargo. One just cutoffs.
-Four shirts. Light fabric. One baseball style for desert or extra layer.
-Thermal layer top and bottom
-One pair jeans. Just regular ole jeans.
-One wide-brimmed hiking hat.
-One swim trunks
-Shower's Pass cold weather gloves
-REI down jacket
-Shower's Pass water-resistant wind-breaker
-2 UL basic rain ponchos.
-Keen hiking shoes (switched out around Sierras)
-Mosquito head net
-Buff...I think it's called a buff. They come in handy.
-Sunglasses
-3 cotton boxer briefs

So that's all smashed into an REI water-resistant 30L carrying bag and goes on top of:

-Big Agnes Fly Creek 1 UL tent / fly
-North Face Snow Leopard -18C sleeping bag (this is my one big compromise. it's not as light as lots of other bags and it takes up space but don't have much body fat to keep me warm so I'm taking it)
-Klymit inflatable sleeping pad. (very light, folds up to smaller than a Nalgene bottle)
-REI Duck Back (?) Rain cover for backpack.

Those are the only things in the main bag. One on top of the other. Food goes on top of clothes when it's fully packed.

So let's look at the brain:

-Toiletries: 1 toothbrush. 1 bag plastic toothpicks with floss attached. (So many seeds and grains being consumed) Toilet paper-unrolled and put in ziplock bag.
-1st aid (a custom little pack Randy made up for me. Everything from mole-skin to various bandages and aspirin and topical antiseptics.
-Emergency survival kit: Another amazing little pouch from Randy. Orange SOS tarp, reflective shell, water-proof matches and tinder, extra guy line, hand warmer pack, ankle wrap, mirror etc.
-1 Lifestraw water filter (probably won't use)
-2 Sawyer mini water filters
-Headlamp
-Titanium spork
-Tiny AAA led tent lamp
-Two bic lighters in hard plastic case
-Waterproof phone bag (for river crossing)
-The Deuce of Spades (look it up)
-Tent stakes
-Beanie
-Kershaw knife 

It's a tight fit but it all fits pretty well.

         Then, hanging off the side of that with two little carabiners is the Goal Zero 2 solar panel. This gets opened up during the day to charge 4 rechargeable batteries that get drained via USB to the iphone at night. Take a few hours but seems to work well from what I've observed in my tests so far.

         In each compartment on either side there's one liter smart bottle and also tent poles on side side and a can of bear spray on the other. Since there hasn't been a bear or mountain lion fatality anywhere near the PCT since 1978 I'm not too worried...just one of those things.
In the back compartment there's two more liters of smart water for four total. Why smart bottles? 1.) Way easier to get in and out instead of tugging at a Nalgene when I'm parched. 2.) The Sawyer filters screw directly into the tops.
       A Black Diamond ice axe is also being sent to Kennedy Meadows.

        Last but not least my titanium cup hangs off a strap in the back...because it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
The pack itself is an Osprey Escalante 85+5 L. I picked it up new from a re-gear store down the street and the fit is superb. The Escalante was designed like similar Osprey packs...I think it's close to the Aether (?) in design but it had a limited run and was only designed for trail guides and small commercial groups. It's very slimmed down despite numerous pockets and fits so well that it basically just feels like I weigh more instead of having anything tugging the wrong way. I've already taken it on about 15 training hikes fully loaded and zero complaints except a nerve in my upper back which has always been there (not the bag's fault) and actually lessened the more I trained. Same with feet. Initially I experienced some nerve/tendon issues but everything broke in after awhile. Even knees stopped flaring up at all...that being said, this isn't 20 miles day in and out so I know things can change rapidly.

         People talk 'base weight' nonstop on these forums. I took the pack to a local bike shop with base weight included and we put it up on a scale. It came in at just around 19 lbs, which isn't super light or super-heavy. I'm a slight guy for sure...but I've never had any back problems that I remember and I feel pretty strong over-all.

         I do have a cracked rib from a mountain bike crash that never healed right and pops around here and there but...as with these other small symptoms it has actually improved the more I've hiked so good...all that said I think the max I'm going to have on my back on any given day is around 35 lbs. Of course, the more I hike the more I eat and drink so every stretch starts off heavy and gets lighter as I go.

                                                 Otherwise...what am I missing...
 

          I wish I could take my Nikon. How I wish...sigh. I'm getting by with the iphone camera which is a shame but it's ok. I just can't afford another quality compact camera right now.
The phone is an Iphone 6 plus, stripped down with only a few apps that I may need to communicate or find trails. No music. Nothing that's going to drain the battery.
The other thing is that I'm currently with T-mobile on a month to month unlimited plan. Of course, T-mobile's coverage isn't nearly as good as Verizon's so coverage might be spotty as best but the PCT Halfmile App allows me to simulate any position on the trail down to a fairly detailed degree with all relevant data still valid as far as water, gps etc. Also T-mobile has expanded by leaps and bounds as far as coverage in the past two years so it'll at least be better than it was.
Also GPS: another kind gift: It's called 'Spot' and allows real-time tracking of my current location and overall path. I can put up a link or allow certain people to follow and it has a few smart functions in case of emergency etc. Basically, it just sits somewhere safe in the pack until needed but a nice thing to have obviously.
          Well, I think that's all for now. I'm exhausted and so much more to do before Sunday. Mailing to drops actually starts this week plus printing of permits and finishing topo hard copies...
          More soon.

       


 














Comments

Popular Posts